Current:Home > MarketsProsecutor removed from YNW Melly murder trial after defense accusations of withholding information -EliteFunds
Prosecutor removed from YNW Melly murder trial after defense accusations of withholding information
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:04:55
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) — A South Florida judge removed the lead prosecutor in the double murder retrial of rapper YNW Melly on Thursday after defense attorneys claimed prosecutors didn’t reveal that the lead detective in the case had been previously accused of being willing to lie as he gathered evidence.
Broward Circuit Court Judge John Murphy granted the defense’s motion to recuse prosecutor Kristine Bradley in an abundance of caution. The judge didn’t find that Bradley’s integrity had been comprised but agreed that she couldn’t serve as a prosecutor on the case if the defense was planning to call her as a witness regarding the credibility of one of the investigators.
Jury selection is set to begin next week, and no replacement for Bradley was immediately announced.
Last week, attorneys for Melly, whose legal name is Jamell Demons, asked Murphy to remove the Broward State Attorney’s Office from the case and potentially dismiss the case entirely. The request came after Assistant State Attorney Michelle Boutros, who works for the Broward office, testified that she overheard the lead investigator in the case against Demons, Mark Moretti, ask a Broward County deputy to lie about being present when Moretti executed a search warrant outside his jurisdiction last October, forcibly seizing a phone from Demons’ mother as part of a witness tampering investigation.
Defense attorney Jamie Benjamin said that information should have been turned over to the defense because they could have used it to discredit Moretti during Demons’ recent murder trial, which ended in July with a hung jury.
Prosecutors say the exchange between Moretti and the deputy was a joke, pointing to the fact that an attorney for Demons’ mother was present when her phone was taken and would have known the deputy wasn’t there.
Demons’ first murder trial ended with a 9-3 vote for conviction.
Melly faces a possible death sentence if convicted of first-degree murder in the 2018 slayings of two childhood friends, Christopher “YNW Juvy” Thomas and Anthony “YNW Sakchaser” Williams. Their stage names all include “YNW” because they belonged to the same hip-hop collective. It stands for “Young New Wave” or another phrase that includes a racial slur.
Prosecutors say Melly, after a late-night recording session, shot Thomas and Williams inside an SUV and he and Cortlen “YNW Bortlen” Henry then tried to make it look like a drive-by shooting. The 24-year-old rapper remains jailed without bond. Melly’s biggest hit, “Murder on My Mind,” reached No. 14 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 2019.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Wintry conditions put spring on hold in California
- Israel, U.S. believe Iran is about to retaliate for Israeli bombing of Syria consulate, officials say
- How are earthquakes measured? Get the details on magnitude scales and how today's event stacks up
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- Voting company makes ‘coercive’ demand of Texas counties: Pay up or lose service before election
- $1.23 billion lottery jackpot is Powerball's 4th largest ever: When is the next drawing?
- Portland, Oregon, schools and after-school program sued after a 9-year-old girl is allegedly raped
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Emergency operations plan ensures ‘a great day’ for Monday’s eclipse, Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine says
Ranking
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Actor in spinoff of popular TV western ‘Yellowstone’ is found dead, authorities say
- Taiwan earthquake search and rescue efforts continue with dozens still listed missing and 10 confirmed dead
- Kirsten Dunst and Jimmy Kimmel Reveal Their Sons Got Into a Fight at School
- The Super Bowl could end in a 'three
- Purdue’s Zach Edey is the overwhelming choice for 2nd straight AP Player of the Year award
- What to know about the $30 million cash heist in Los Angeles
- Final Four bold predictions: How the men's semifinals of March Madness will unfold
Recommendation
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Elle King Reveals What Inspired Her New Butt Tattoo
Drake Bell Shares Why He Pleaded Guilty in Child Endangerment Case
One of the world's oldest books goes up for auction
Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
Judge appoints special master to oversee California federal women’s prison after rampant abuse
99 Cents Only Stores to close all 371 spots in 'extremely difficult decision,' CEO says
New York inmates who claimed lockdown was religious violation will be able to see eclipse