Current:Home > StocksUS founder of Haiti orphanage who is accused of sexual abuse will remain behind bars for now -EliteFunds
US founder of Haiti orphanage who is accused of sexual abuse will remain behind bars for now
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-07 01:31:48
DENVER (AP) — An American founder of a Haitian orphanage who is accused of forcing four boys who lived in the institution to engage in sexual acts more than a decade ago will remain behind bars for now even though a magistrate judge in Colorado ruled Thursday that he should be sent to live in a halfway house.
Federal prosecutors said they would appeal the decision to a federal judge in Florida, where Michael Geilenfeld was indicted last month and accused of traveling from Miami to Haiti between 2010 and 2016 “for the purpose of engaging in any illicit sexual conduct with another person under 18.” The charge he faces carries a penalty of up to 30 years in prison.
Magistrate Judge Scott Varholak said his order to release Geilenfeld, 71, would not take effect until a judge in Florida rules on the matter.
Geilenfeld, who has faced past accusations of abusing boys, has been held in a suburban Denver federal prison since his Jan. 20 arrest in Colorado. He told Varholak earlier that he was being held in isolation and only allowed out of his cell for two hours every morning.
His attorney, Brian Leedy, told Varholak that Geilenfeld had the support of a “large community of individuals” who have supported him for 20 years and would help him get back and forth to court dates in Florida. Leedy did not immediately respond to a phone call and email seeking comment on the allegations against Geilenfeld.
Prosecutors argued that Geilenfeld, who they say allegedly abused about 20 children over decades, could try to intimidate his victims if he is freed and poses a flight risk since, given his age, a conviction could put him behind bars for the rest of his life.
Geilenfeld has a pattern of bribing and threatening people when he is investigated, according to Jessica Urban of the Justice Department’s Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section. One adult victim involved in a civil proceeding involving Geilenfeld said Geilenfeld told him that “if he loved his children” he would recant his allegation, which he took as a threat, she said.
Varholak called the allegations against Geilenfeld “beyond troubling” but said the government had not provided enough details to show he had actually threatened anyone or that he commited abuse since the time alleged in the indictment over a decade ago. Under his stayed order, Geilenfeld would be put on home detention in the halfway house and outfitted with a GPS monitor.
Haitian authorities arrested Geilenfeld in September 2014 based on allegations brought by Paul Kendrick, a child advocate in Maine. Kendrick accused him of being a serial pedophile after speaking to young men who said they were abused by Geilenfeld as boys in Port-au-Prince, the Haitian capital where he founded the orphanage in 1985.
Geilenfeld called the claims “vicious, vile lies,” and his case was dismissed in 2015 after he spent 237 days in prison in Haiti.
He and a charity associated with the orphanage, Hearts for Haiti, sued Kendrick in federal court in Maine, blaming Kendrick for Geilenfeld’s imprisonment, damage to his reputation and the loss of millions of dollars in donations.
Kendrick’s insurance companies settled the lawsuit in 2019 by paying $3 million to Hearts with Haiti, but nothing to Geilenfeld.
veryGood! (98)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- NRA lawyer says gun rights group is defendant and victim at civil trial over leader’s big spending
- NRA lawyer says gun rights group is defendant and victim at civil trial over leader’s big spending
- Israel taps top legal minds, including a Holocaust survivor, to battle genocide claim at world court
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- What does 'highkey' mean? Get to know the Gen-Z lingo and how to use it.
- The family of an Arizona professor killed on campus reaches multimillion-dollar deal with the school
- Selena Gomez and Timothée Chalamet deny rumors of their Golden Globes feud
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Blizzard knocks out power and closes highways and ski resorts in Oregon and Washington
Ranking
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- 'A sense of relief:' Victims' families get justice as police identify VA. man in 80s slayings
- Astrobotic says its Peregrine lunar lander won't make planned soft landing on the moon due to propellant leak
- A judge has temporarily halted enforcement of an Ohio law limiting kids’ use of social media
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Hundreds of UK postal workers wrongly accused of fraud will have their convictions overturned
- AI-powered misinformation is the world’s biggest short-term threat, Davos report says
- Don't Miss Out on J. Crew's Sale with up to 60% off Chic Basics & Timeless Staples
Recommendation
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Michigan Wolverines return home to screaming fans after victory over Washington Huskies
Melania Trump’s Mom Amalija Knavs Dead at 78
X Corp. has slashed 30% of trust and safety staff, an Australian online safety watchdog says
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
When and where stargazers can see the full moon, meteor showers and eclipses in 2024
SEC chair denies a bitcoin ETF has been approved, says account on X was hacked
DeSantis and Haley go head to head: How to watch the fifth Republican presidential debate